The Clare Valley Visitor Information
The Clare Valley, South Australia
The Clare Valley is a scenic region located in South Australia, about two hours' drive north of Adelaide. It is known for its charming towns, quality wines, and stunning landscapes.
Things to Do
There are plenty of things to do and see in the Clare Valley:
- Visit wineries and cellar doors to taste some of Australia's best wines, including Riesling, Shiraz, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Explore the Riesling Trail, a 35km walking and cycling path that passes through vineyards, farmland, and charming towns.
- Take a hot air balloon ride for a bird's eye view of the valley's picturesque countryside.
- Visit historical towns like Mintaro and Burra to see well-preserved buildings from the mid-1800s gold rush era.
- Hike through the Mount Remarkable National Park and enjoy the scenic views of the surrounding countryside.
Where to Stay
The Clare Valley has a range of accommodation options to suit all tastes and budgets:
- Hotels and motels in Clare and other towns.
- Bed and breakfasts in charming heritage homes.
- Vineyard cottages and self-contained apartments for a unique wine country experience.
- Campsites and caravan parks for those who prefer a more rustic setting.
The Clare Valley is easily accessible by car, with well-maintained roads and plenty of parking:
- From Adelaide, take the Main North Road (A1) and turn left onto Horrocks Highway (B56).
- The journey takes around two hours, depending on traffic conditions.
- There are also regular bus services from Adelaide, as well as train services to nearby towns.
Here are a few useful tips to help you make the most of your visit to the Clare Valley:
- Bring comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat as the weather can be hot and sunny.
- If you plan to visit wineries, make sure you have a designated driver or book a wine tour to avoid drink driving.
- Check the local events calendar for festivals and markets, which are great opportunities to experience the region's food, wine, and culture.
Overall, the Clare Valley is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to explore South Australia's stunning wine country and enjoy a relaxing rural getaway.